Sunday, April 12, 2009

On Two Wheels

I got myself a Trek 3900 MTB a couple of months back. I guess I got caught up in all the excitement in wanting to feel the outdoors on a non-motorized vehicle. I actually got a fantastic deal through my buddy and gym owner, Ang. His gym is truly a basic set up with lots of free weights - great for fitness buffs who prefer having greater flexibility in using dumbbell's and barbells than to be confined to machines! Not to say machines aren't any good. In fact they are because they basically work on the concept of resistance.

I hope I am making sense ..hmmm better check with Ang hehehe! Lest I make a fool of myself. He is after all a certified trainer and is quite knowledgeable in the matters of fitness and nutrition.

Well, anyway back to my bike, it cost me a painful RM1500 but Gary of CCI Cycle offered me a great package 'cos along with it came a Cratoni Ceron helmet, a pair of bikers' shorts, cat eye LED rear lights and every biker's must have ... a water bottle!

Since having this bike, I've been up Air Itam dam thrice and peddled around my neighbourhood countless mornings. We took a drive up Cameron on February 14th...yeah Valentine's day. It was a Saturday and we decided that we must stop by Foh Shan in Ipoh town for tim sum. Notice they way I spelt it...yeah, the Penang Hokkien way :)


After a sumptuous breakfast, we drove up the hill through Simpang Pulai. The journey up the new highway (well, its new to me 'cos it was my first on this highway) was breathtaking. It was easy on the car as well as the road was less winding. Since there were only three of us, Ang, Sue (his wife) and I, we came in 2 cars. My bike was safely strapped on to the back seat. It is amazing how a car like a Wira 1.3M could be so accommodating. Of course I had to remove the front wheel but it fitted snugly at the back. I had decided against buying a roof rack because it would have cost me more than my bike itself. The other option was to get the boot mounted carrier which did not deserve a second look because it was sooooo fragile. I loved my bike too much :)

We stayed at Tanah Rata for the weekend. The afternoon was reserved for the ride up one of BOH's plantations. Ang led the way. We almost didn't get to ride 'cos out tyres were not properly inflated. Ang brought along his portable hand pump which he recently bought from Gary. Unfortunately for us, one component was missing rendering the pump useless.



We voted to ride on. Man, it was fun with the cool, fresh breeze blowing against us as we ascended the hill. At first Sue was tailing us but we thought it would be better for her to drive ahead and wait at the summit. Boy! did we regret that call or what. This was my first attempt in climbing up a hill, any hill on a bike. Yeah this all happened even before I rode up Air Itam dam. But that is another episode which I shall keep for my next post.


Ang was much more prepared for this as he was more focused and knew how to pace himself. Me, on the other hand, was a green horn at biking. I wore myself up thinking that I could keep on climbing with the momentum gained. How very wrong I was. I was out of breadth in no time and had to stop many many many times :(

I would catch up with Ang after each rest but I was never ever able to maintain my pace. I reasoned that I had made the wrong call. The next time I would know better.


Reaching the top where the BOH's office and cafe was indescribable. You will not appreciate the journey one had to make to reach the summit if you hadn't done it with a bike. Most of us are drivers and getting up any hill in a car have always been effortless. The view of the tea plantation was priceless. It was well worth the torture.





I found a new friend in a brown dog. It seemed so friendly as it quickly warmed up to us when we gestured it towards us. It looked a bit like a small fox, quite beautiful actually. It stuck close by long enough to be photographed.






Then it was time for us to leave as it was already getting dark. Man...riding downhill was a totally different experience altogether. No effort required ...but we did have to watch our brakes! It was so much fun coming downhill. We did stop at a few spots to take photos of ourselves and the scenery. Priceless.







Before we know it, we had already reached the base. How sad :( We had so wanted the ride to go on and on but that would mean that we would have had to climb much higher the next round... Uhh, on second thought I think we did just fine hehehehe.

We decided that we would have dinner first in town before heading back to the apartment. CRAMPS!!! OMG, I've never had it so bad. Thank God it happened as I got down from my car at the Shell petrol kiosk. I had a chance to rest my sore legs. It made the difference.

Dinner and the rest of the night is another episode altogether. Next....visitors arriving at midnight?....






2 comments:

  1. The doggy is very cute and looks innocent!

    Sometimes machines help to prevent injuries cause by free weights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah,the dog is so very cute, right? Make a trip up to Cameron and who knows you might just bumped into it. :)

    ReplyDelete