Friday, April 10, 2009

Life is so fragile...

2008 ended with a dark cloud for our family. We suffered a few losses. No, I'm not referring to money but the life of a loved one. My 3rd cousin succumbed to cancer late last year after a very short battle with the frightful disease. I think it is even more lethal than the HIV virus after heart disease. He was a very active sportsman with a beautiful family, lovely wife and 3 children. I never really got to know them when they were growing up but they really are great kids. My cousin, Chris would be very proud of them, I am sure. I knew him growing up here in Penang. His passion for food can be so infectious.
I remembered the time when I went to Singapore in the late 70s, he took us for some dessert after dinner and the ice cream he had ordered for himself was like a tidal wave. Indeed it was aptly named "Tidal Wave" 'cos there were so many scoops of different flavours and colours. It was so beautiful that you just couldn't plunge your spoon into it and spoil the piece of art :)

I would have if my mom had given me the green light but she said..."Touch and see!" hehehehe no la she didn't put it that way....just a plain but stern "NO". I had so much fun then. Chris was very positive and had always and only wonderful wishes for others. Such a great person he was.

And then a close friend of mine lost his dad. Tragic yield a fateful to his family when his mom passed away, just a few months his dad. Sad right? Not bad enough, a former school mate also lost his mom to cancer. Cancer, cancer, CANCER such a dreaded word and yet I am also from this horoscope. To top it all, the eldest brother of my recently demised cousin was also called home to the Lord. He too succumbed to cancer. He fought hard with it for about 2 years but in the end his journey in this world finally came to an end. It was his time to leave. He is survived by his lovely wife and a son. Kevin is getting married this year and it is a shame that my cousin would not be around to rejoice in the marriage of his only child. Both of my cousins were very passionate about living, both are now at peace in the kingdom of the Lord, Almighty.

And only just last month, a close business associate lost his fight with cancer but suffered little in his last days. Thank god for that. Mr Chan or Jackie Chan as he is affectionately known to is friends, loved food , loved his family and his employees.

So, I wouldn't be wrong to say that it is those who are left behind are in pain, left with the thought of not being able to talk to them, or share our laughter or even sorrows with them again. We all need to let go of this longing and learn to live again. I have come to learn that by having Christ in our lives, we shall have peace in our hearts. It is in times like this that we realized that no material things could bring comfort to our heart and soul. Only when we truly understand our fragile life is, that we begin to treasure it dearly and live it to the fullest each day. Only then can we learn to let go.

To those who have lost a loved one, do take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. And there are many others in the same situation, just like you.

We should all do what the Lord has done for us. Learn to love others just as the Lord has loved us. Peace be to all. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment